Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Rustoleum Mirror Effect Paint

Have you ever had flowers delivered for that special birthday, anniversary or maybe Valentine's Day and then end up with another clear vase?

While I was at the Haven Conference last month I came across the Rust-oleum vendor booth and a really cool product that I knew I had to try out!  If you saw my Instagram earlier this month about a little trip to the hardware store, then you might remember seeing something about this paint.

But I won't bore you with that moment when I was just sure the salesperson at Home Depot didn't know what she was talking about when she told me there was no mercury glass spray paint by Rust-oleum but instead a mirror effect spray paint and how I bought it reluctantly, feeling somewhat unsure of myself.

Okay, so maybe I still haven't gone back to apologize but I am sorry and of course, my next trip to HD, I will find her and tell her how right she was!!!

For now though, I'd much rather share what I did using it as mirror effect paint because it's pretty cool too.





Items Needed:

Glass vases or jars

Drop cloth

Lint Free cloth

Painter's tape (I used Frog tape)

Dishwashing liquid

Glass cleaner (I used Windex)

Rust-Oleum Mirror Effect Spray Paint 


1.  Clean vases and jars

I washed my vases in dishwashing liquid first and then used glass cleaner as well.



 2.  Tape the outside edges of the vase and anywhere that you do not want painted.  I used tape on the small vase and then used newspaper and tape on the larger two and mason jar.  Make sure the tape is sealed well as you will see what happens when you don't!




3.  Hold the paint can 10-12" from the surface.  Press the spray button and begin covering the reverse side of the glass in a steady back and forth motion, slightly overlapping each stroke.  (Side note:  I couldn't spray and take the picture but I think you get the idea!)


So that's my "oops" didn't seal the tape moment.  





4.  Apply 3 or more light coats at a moderate speed.  For best results, apply multiple light coats versus one heavy coat.  This will help avoid running!!






5.  Let dry for 1 hour before displaying your work of art.













I would say it was well worth the $8.47 + tax for three new vases and a mirrored mason jar!

As for the Mercury glass effect, all you need to add is a vinegar & water solution and a spray bottle!  Maybe I will get brave and try it next week!!  You'll have to stay tuned!

Happy Organizing!

Kim


I received no compensation for this project and all opinions, ideas and projects are based on my own experiences.







No comments: