Monday, July 21, 2014

Annie Sloan Bar Makeover




This past October,  my mother-in-law passed away and I've had a hard time getting back into blogging since.  Fortunately, after attending the Haven Conference recently in Atlanta, I feel rejuvenated and know that she would want me to keep doing what I love.

It seemed like every time I was in her home, she would tell me that I could have anything I wanted.  My response was always, "Your things are right where they are suppose to be".







After she passed, her "things" were really just things.  They no longer took on the same meaning.  
It's weird, isn't it, but things really do help make a house a home and that's why I decided to bring this piece of hers into our home.

This is what it looked like when we brought it to the house.  The style was a little more country than what goes with our home so I made a few changes to it.


I removed the two bottom doors and will share in a later post how I repurposed them.

All of the knobs were removed as well as the scalloped edge on the bottom.  After the inside glass was removed from the doors and shelves,  I painted it with Annie Sloan Coco and finished it with Clear and Dark wax.














I found the new handles for the doors and drawers at Lowe's for less than $4 a piece.



The left drawer is the only spot that isn't fully utilized as a bar.  We use it as a drop spot for our keys, sunglasses and a few other items that used to always end up out on the kitchen table.  

The right drawer works out perfectly for storing some of our bar essentials.




The koozies in the top middle drawer are stamped with the logo Beacon Clothing Co.  If you haven't already heard of them, you should check out their website.  For every item sold, a gallon of water is donated to natural disasters all over the country.




I have a thing for napkins (paper and cloth) and this drawer holds a few of the paper ones.







My husband and I were beyond excited when we finished it.  It sits in our kitchen/keeping room that we are in every day which makes us both feel there's a little reminder of her with us.



My sweet grand-dog, Lulu wanted to get in on the action.  Lucky for us, she can't reach the booze.

Disclaimer:  I was not compensated in any way for the items purchased to complete this project.







No comments: