Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Longing for Change

This past Christmas was probably the most difficult time for me in dealing with my mother's passing. As I took decorations out of the storage containers, I found myself thinking of my childhood and the wonderful Christmas memories my parents made for us. However, what I didn't expect was what emotions came next. I no longer wanted to decorate and was longing for change in my home everywhere I looked. I'm not sure exactly why I felt that way, but I knew I needed change.
Fortunately, my loving husband was so understanding and supportive of what happened next. Within about 48 hours, with the help of my niece, Katherine, and daughters, Katie and Kelly, my dining room was transformed into a beautiful Christmas setting.
I knew the first thing that had to change was the paint color. The orangy-red had run its course. This next stage of life needs to be a more calming color, hence I chose Sherwin Williams Natural Tan (thanks to some help from a certain family member).
After painting, it was time to add some Christmas to the room and why not start from the top, right?So, greenery was added to my chandelier, which gave the room a more natural feel.

Dining Room Makeover

Dining Room Makeover


Next, I changed the top of the buffet by adding more natural textures with the double orchids and red berry stems that were found at a local nursery close to home.
Dining Room Makeover

Dining Room Makeover

 Some scrap burlap ribbon was used to made this simple bow for the lamp that I pulled from a bedroom.
Dining Room Makeover


Lastly, the table centerpiece was completely changed from a sleigh and reindeer theme to a Pinterest inspired candlelight motif. This part was a bit time consuming between searching through my house for the right candles and scurrying around town for just the right stuff, it eventually all came together.

Dining Room Makeover

Dining Room Makeover

Dining Room Makeover

Dining Room Makeover


 On Christmas Day, before dinner, we swapped out the decanter tray for this dedication to the victims of Sandyhook Elementary School. The candles were lit just before dinner and burned throughout the evening.
Dining Room Makeover

Dining Room Makeover

Dining Room Makeover


Now I'm enjoying my new dining room and keeping my eyes open for what my non-holiday decor will be.
Did anyone else feel a need for change this past Christmas? Would love for you to share your story.

No comments: